frequently asked questions
WHO MAKES ALL THIS?
Amanda Pehrson is the sole designer and creator of all Fancy Boheme jewelry. Each piece is concepted, sketched, designed and created in her home studio in Five Points, Denver. All pieces are made with love.
WHAT METALS DO YOU USE? HOW CAN I CLEAN THEM?
- Our jewelry is made mainly from 14k gold fill, 14k rose gold fill and recycled sterling silver, all of which is 100% nickel free and hypo-allergenic. All ear wires are either gold fill or sterling silver. Neither of these metals is known to cause irritation in most people, even those with sensitive ears.
- You'll find the specific metals used for each piece on their individual pages and more information about each metal below.
Gold fill is made by heat and pressure-bonding a layer of 14k gold to a brass core. This process is extremely strong and will last decades and even centuries if taken care of properly. Gold is naturally very soft, so bonding it to brass adds strength to our designs. The wonderful thing about this process is that everything you see and touch is 14k gold and always will be, so you don't have to worry about flaking, tarnishing, allergies, or turning your skin green!
- Gold fill is naturally tarnish resistant; however it can get dirty or smudged. To keep your gold shiny and glowing, wipe it with a soft cloth. Gold doesn't normally tarnish unless it's around very harsh chemicals. In the unlikely case that happens, just use a jeweler's polish cloth to wipe it off. The biggest threats to gold fill are abrasives. So avoid scratching the surface with harsh polishers, baking soda, or sandpaper.
- Gold fill is not the same as gold-plated jewelry. Plated metal is made by dipping any kind of metal in a very thin coating of gold. This is what you will find at the mall and it flakes and wears off quickly.
- Normal wear and tear won't impact your gold fill.
- Using gold-fill vs. 100% solid gold helps to keep the cost of Fancy Boheme jewelry down, as well as decrease the overall demand on the environment when new mines are created.
- We use 100% recycled sterling silver that is milled in southwest America. Natural silver does darken (with time which can be so lovely!). If you prefer your silver bright and shiny (that's my favorite way to wear it!) you can use a polishing cloth to gently buff it clean. If you're in a pinch, a bit of baking soda and a soft cloth with also work. Leaving your silver in a humid environment or at the bottom of a drawer/jewelry box with other metals is one of the quickest ways to make your silver tarnish.
FB's domestically-sourced stones come from mainly mines in the American Southwest. Each of these gemstones carry a clear,direct and documentable path from the mine into the finished jewelry you see on the site. Every stone is mined, cut and processed under conditions that meet all standards for worker safety, environmental protection and responsible production.
Our internationally-sourced materials support the communities where they originate from,sourced from stone-cutters & mines that support the small villages and communities that surround them.
SOFT ELEMENTS & ANIMAL PRODUCTS
All silk elements are sourced from women-owned businesses in India.
Fancy Boheme also uses primarily vegan suedes, with a mix of high-quality natural leathers that are 100% recycled from scrap.
All feathers are hand-dyed, cruelty-free and naturally molted. No animals are harmed exclusively for their feathers.
HOW DO I CARE FOR MY JEWELRY?
Jewelry is not indestructible. Take care to avoid sleeping in your jewelry, swimming in it, and avoid exposing it to harsh chemicals. Learn more about jewelry care here.
I ORDERED THE WRONG RING SIZE. CAN I EXCHANGE IT FOR A DIFFERENT SIZE?
Absolutely! We offer a one time free ring re-sizing. Check out what you need to do to get this process started on our returns page If you need help determining your ring size, please use this handy sizing chart.
HOW DO YOU PACKAGE JEWELRY?
Jewelry is shipped in post-consumer recycled jewelry boxes, tied with a bow. We do not ship an invoice or a receipt on domestic orders to save paper. The jewelry is sent in a post-consumer recycled bubble mailer that's biodegradable and small enough to fit in most mailboxes and through most mail slots. If it is a gift, leave a note when you checkout and we can include a message from you.
DO YOU MAKE CUSTOM DESIGNS?
Sometimes! While it can be enticing to take on as many new projects as I can dream up with customers I love, at this stage of Fancy Boheme, custom work is accepted on a very limited basis.
If Fancy Boheme is not able to accommodate a custom request, fret not! It just means at that given moment, I'm sticking to my current production schedule, which is built with the purpose of creating as many new gems for fb customers to choose from as possible.
If you're interested in a custom piece, please fill out our Custom Inquiry form, and I'll be in touch!
WHERE CAN I SHOP IN PERSON?
Fancy Boheme Jewelry is carried in small, independent shops all over the Denver metro area.
Fancy Boheme can also be found at a lot of small maker events around Denver. Find more about our local pop-ups here.
DO YOU CHARGE SALES TAX?
Yes. We charge Colorado State sales tax, which is 2.9% of the purchase price, and is calculated at checkout.
CAN I GET UPDATES WHEN YOU LIST NEW JEWELRY?
Yep! You can sign up for our emails on this page.
I AM INTERESTED IN CARRYING YOUR JEWELRY IN MY STORE. HOW DO I FIND OUT MORE?
We would love to hear from you! Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your company name and address to gain access to our wholesale web portal.